Monday, August 16, 2010

An Adventure in Networking

Networking.

I am sure I am like so many others. But this is a new discovery. I thought I was the only woman who totally submerges herself in her daughter’s life, her own career, and her own marriage to the detriment of every other aspect of a social life. When I was trying to find my way through a divorce, I had no support system. When my daughter went away to college, I muddled through those emotions. I am a high school teacher and for so many days I would hardly see any person over the age of 18. Because I moved into the district where I teach, many of the teachers had already formed their own support groups and memories of many years. Again, for the most part I was going it alone.

A year ago, I decided I was not going to go into retirement or the next phase of my life alone. I decided to look into other groups outside of my workplace where I might find some new colleagues. I first ventured nervously into a group called The Transition Network (TTN). I like the mission statement they had set up for the group.

The Transition Network is a community of women over 50, who join forces as they navigate the transition from one career to another -- or whatever is next.

This is not a red hat organization, not that this not a good organization, but it is a group of women who are looking to do something meaningful and have the social aspect along with it. We seem to be in a new phase of life where golfing all day every day is not an option. We have careers and are looking to do something new, explore, and perhaps conquer our fears of what being fifty and older means. I remember what fifty looked like for my mother and my grandmother. For my mom, she took up golf. She became good at golf; she had two holes-in-one plaques to prove it. She continued with her other crafts and gardening. My grandmother had been a nurse. But that was early on. I only remember her playing cards with friends and cooking. But for us, who have defined ourselves by what we have accomplished in our careers and for what our children have become, it’s different. I hear so many times, “I don’t want to play golf a lot.”

I have also joined another group called “Dames Bond”. The slogan for this group is “When dames bond, dames thrive.” The synergy whenever I go to a function is amazing. These women are in private practice or business owners and entrepenuers of a plethora of business themes. When I need something done, I just look in the directory for the service I need.

It was hard to reach out at first. It was really uncomfortable to stand or sit in a room where I didn’t know anyone. But I don’t feel that way any more. I certainly do not feel I am the only one about anything.

1 comment:

Osa said...

Sounds wonderful! Good for you!
I really need to look into something like that.

/Osa